Saturday, March 21, 2009
Mackenzie's First Ear Infection : (
After a year of only a few small colds, Mackenzie has gotten her very first real sickness. She had been really fussy at night for the past week and that is not like her at all. She usually sleeps right through the night with no problem at all. At first, we thought it was just teething because she is getting 4 of her molars in right now. However, she also started to be really fussy during the day. I knew something else had to be wrong at that point. I called the doctor on Friday to see what we should do and they recommended that we come in. The nurse on the phone said that babies can sometimes develop an ear infection while they are teething, so she wanted to have the doctor take a look at Mackenzie's ears before the weekend began. I took her in and sure enough, she had an ear infection along with a slight infection on her gums where her top molar is trying to come through. He put her on Amoxicillin for 10 days and a Probiotic as well so that the antibiotic does not kill all of her good bacteria which can cause things such as a yeast infection. I am relieved because I thought I was going to have a hard time giving her the medication. It is very hard trying to give her PolyViSol (Vitamin D supplement) because she hates the taste. I have to mix it with juice to get her to take it. That is why I was a little concerned, but she loves the bubble gum taste of the Amoxicillin. Hopefully my little princess will start to feel better soon. I hate seeing her in pain. She is normally in such good spirits and I am ready to see that side of her back. I am glad we caught this before Mary Kathryn gets here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment